Thursday, July 23, 2009

Craycroft Road Art

Here is some of the public art on Craycroft Road between River Road and Sunrise Drive. The wall treatments tie in with the agave themed art along Sunrise Drive featured on my Sabino Canyon blog.
After Craycroft Road was widened, mosaics were created to adorn the retaining walls. The artwork is colorful, yet subtle.
The material looks like ceramic tile or stone.

Green metal agaves decorate fences at regular intervals.
Beside wall treatments, I found that two free-standing sculptures had sprung up. This one is by the River Road Library. I think it resembles an agave and the base echos the shapes on the wall mosaics.
And up the road, this rusted metal sculpture blends in surprisingly well. It doesn't have pointy shapes like the piece above. Rather than agave leaves, perhaps cactus blossoms or prickly pear pads come to mind.

To complete the road improvements, the unsightly cell tower was camouflaged. Yes, the tall cactus pictured below is fake. It's a saguaro cell tower like the ones on Sunrise Drive.
I'm pleased that Pima County and the City of Tucson support public art. The installations I've shown along Sunrise Drive and Craycroft Road are site-specific. In future posts I hope to share some of the rich diversity of artwork to be found around Tucson.

8 comments:

Liara Covert said...

Found you through Julie's blog. This art is incredible. Thank you for choosing to share it and uplift the spirit of your readers. You are indeed a blessing to all.

Julie said...

That one rusty sculpture puts me in mind of eucalyptus!!! These are so pretty...especially the mosaics!!!

•°°• IcyBC •°°• said...

Those are incredible pieces of arts, and your photos are as great as ever!

betchai said...

wonderful work and colors of art, i agree with you with the first one, it is colorful, the colors actually strike me the most yet it is subtle with how everything are combined and placed. i enjoy viewing public art too, when before they can only be viewed indoors and have to pay for them in the museums.

deedee said...

These are fantastic - I need to post the art found on the roads here in Phoenix! Your "followers" is not showing for me - hope to follow soon. I'm recently addicted to farmtown :)

Bhavesh Chhatbar said...

Nice set! I liked the cycle art the most :)

Slow and Beautiful — Snail

Teri said...

WOW, I can't wait to get back and see these. Awesome!

Margaret Ann said...

Spectacular! Makes one want to make a road trip to Tucson just to see them...they just make you happy!Tucson rocks! :)